Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mediocrity Advances!

I just watched regular season 7-9 Seattle defeat reigning Super Bowl champion New Orleans in the first round of the playoffs and I found myself routing for them throughout the game.  Why?

It wasn't so much the reflex to cheer for the underdog as it was a hope for the comeuppance of the far-too-cocky NFL hierarchy.  As this year's television ratings attest, the league makes big money inspite of itself.  For some sinful reason I'm sure, it really bugs me when people posture as geniuses when in fact they're only riding a favorable wave they neither created nor chose.  You know, like stockbrokers in the 1990s. 

Anyway, the fact that the "suits" at NFL HQ never considered the possibility of a less-than-.500-record division-winner going ALL-THE-WAY amuses me greatly.

Go Seahawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment