Sunday, January 9, 2011

"The Kennedys" and "The Reagans"

I don't know about you, but like the Congress itself, I'm just about Kennedy-ed out.  As a result, yet another made-for-TV biopic mini-series chronicling the life and times of the famous Massachusetts family interested me not at all.  Well, it looks like legions of Kennedy groupies have come to my rescue.

The History Channel produced and had planned to air just such a series this month, corresponding to the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the JFK Administration.  But when liberal defenders of the memory of Camelot protested, the series was dropped.

Sure enough, some are already comparing this incident to CBS's decision in 2003 to cancel its mini-series, The Reagans.  At the time, many conservatives protested that the series' characterization of the former president was inaccurate and unfair and amid the furor, CBS dropped the show.  But, to this point anyway, the episodes are not parallel..

In 2003, CBS's decision to cancel created a liberal backlash about the evil of censorship, a backlash that went all the way to the halls of government.  Even Tom Daschle, then Senate Minority Leader, was moved to comment, saying that the network's action "smells of intimidation to me."

I've not yet heard anything from Senator Mitch McConnell over The History Channel's decision and I won't hold my breath either.

Such are the differences between the Left and the Right.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment