Sunday, November 20, 2011

Who are We to Judge?

If you've read this blog for very long, you'll know that I don't read New York Times columnist David Brooks anymore.  He's a token, and I do mean token, conservative over at the Gray Lady and his work, more often than not, drove me absolutely nuts. "With friends like these..."  That kind of thing.

As a result, I didn't read his reaction to the reaction to the news of the charges of child sexual abuse made against a former Penn. St. football coach and what has come to be the very widespread fallout.  Anyway, a week or so ago, Brooks did in fact react with this column, "Let's All Feel Superior".

Mark Steyn, whom I adore, commented on the scandal himself just yesterday, but more importantly on Brooks' reaction as well.  His piece is titled, "No Man's Land".

I'd ask you to read both columns, first Brooks', then Steyn's.

I suspect I'm guilty of overstatement, but it occurs to me that the differences between Brooks and Steyn here (and elsewhere), and you may put as positive a spin as you like on either position, capture almost perfectly the divisions that exist within the Republican Party and contemporary conservatism.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm of the Steyn party.

No comments:

Post a Comment