Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What's Wrong with this Non-Romney?

Who'd of thunk Newt Gingrich of all people would become the darling of the evangelical right?

Actually, I don't think he has. Instead, I think he's merely reaping the rewards of being the currently most plausible non-Romney.  And contrary to the apparently willful ignorance of much of elite conservative punditry and far too many professional Republicans alike, there's plenty to recommend the non-Romney, whomever he/she happens to be.  In fact, one of the chief recommendations is that the base of the GOP is screaming for him to emerge.

Anyway, lest you think I, a card-carrying member of the evangelical right, am similarly willfully ignorant, but in reverse, to the faults and failures of this particular non-Romney, consider this piece by The Washington Times' Wesley Pruden.  I'd say he does more than a pretty good job of making you wince for even thinking about voting for Newt.

Fair and balanced?

4 comments:

  1. I have considered supporting Mr. Gingrich but couldn't get comfortable with the idea. This piece reminds me why. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait!

    First read my next post or, rather, the piece by Lord I recommend in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I think you can write a psychological profile of me,” he once told interviewer Gail Sheehy, “that says I found a way to immerse my insecurities in a cause large enough to justify whatever I wanted it to.” Are these the real choices?

    ReplyDelete