Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P.

While I expected this, doomed with cancer as he was, I found I was surprised nonetheless.  Maybe because he was closer to my own age than I thought.  (He was 62, I'm 54.)  A man I never knew nor even met, what captivated me, what I admired, what I envied about Christopher Hitchens was his facility with the English language, both written and spoken.  The only other person to have a similar effect on me was William F. Buckley, Jr., and I was similarly saddened when he passed away almost four years ago.  (I'm heartened, literally, that my son finds WFB, Jr., through video on the Internet, as captivating as I did.) 

I won't try to improve--because I'm not capable--on the numerous memorials already penned and published by so many from both the political left and right. (please see aldaily.com)   I will only say that I will miss him.  R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment