Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ta-Nehisi Coates

Huh?  Same thing I said when I came across this encouraging essay written by him for The Atlantic where he serves as a senior editor.  It's about the meaning of Malcolm X, both for himself personally as a black man, and for America at large.  Those of you who read more widely than I may have already heard of him as a few years back he penned a memoir of some note titled, The Beautiful Struggle.   

The piece is a little long, but, to my mind, the writing superb and, as a I say, encouraging.  Give it a read if you have a few moments.

Why "encouraging"?  I suspect that Ta-Nehisi Coates' politics and mine couldn't be farther apart.  (Although I can't say for sure.)  But aside from its immediate subject, his essay communicates, to me anyway, something important about the beguiling charm and magnetic power of the idea, the original idea, that is this great country of ours.  If the ruminations of this man are a fair indicator, we can take heart that those qualities have endured.

No comments:

Post a Comment