Monday, February 7, 2011

XVIII and XX

In case you were wondering, those were the years my two children were born. 

Still having trouble?  C'mon, in XVIII, the, then, L.A. Raiders thrashed the Redskins.  Two years later, the Bears did equal damage to the Patriots.  If it'll help, in between, in XIX, the 49ers killed the Dolphins.

What's that you say?  You don't mark time that way. 

Well apparently the NFL does, and, increasingly, so does every sports writer as well.  At one point during the build-up to yesterday's game, I read an article on the Sport Illustrated web site and was very annoyed that the writer refused to use 1978, 1985, etc., when referring to some aspect of those year's games to make whatever point it was he was trying to make.  Instead, he'd just refer to VII, for example, and take it for granted that the reader would remember that particular game and remember it in that way.

Look, I'm as big a sports fan as anyone.  I watched yesterday's championship game between the Packers and the Steelers like most of the rest of you, and enjoyed it as I suspect you did as well. (After so many years of one-sided yawners, we have had a string of pretty good games lately, haven't we?)  But the only people who refer to Super Bowls by their roman numerals and know immediately to which game it refers are ESPN junkies who otherwise have little or no lives at all.

OK.  I'm glad I got that off my chest.  I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment